Saturday, July 25, 2009

3 email strategy

I was thinking about the email account strategy for quite some time now. I would like to share my solution which uses email accounts in a special way. They are not solving all the problems but atleast the ones I had and no doubt there might be better solutions......hence this post.

So, first my problems.............

1. I feel concerned about checking my mail on others/public computers/devices.
2. I do not want to tell everybody my email....I want a cover.

Solution:

Let's take my primary account is b@xyz.com and I have two other accounts which I have created to solve these two problems. Let's name these accounts a@xyz.com and c@xyz.com. We live in a world where email account is free so we can always waste some.


Now my solution

First part :

I try to give c@xyz.com for all public subscriptions, newsletters etc. And forward all my mail from c@xyz.com to b@xyz.com. So, now something which I don't want to see coming from could be filtered at c easily. (it is possible to do filtering even at b but I like it that way ...more neat and clean and I get email masking)

Second Part:

I forward all my emails from b@xyz.com (except few) to a@xyz.com. Also, publicly my friends do not know that I use c for mailing them. So, there is no reputation loss when somebody mails from a on my behalf.

Now whenever I am at friends place can easily check my email through a@xyz.com . I try to delete all of them when I read them . so I always have only latest ones. So, even if somebody can get my account a@xyz.com I can change the password later (as it is tied up with the primary account for recovery) and the loss is minimal. (because this account has no reputation so mailing from it will not bring me any losses for reputation)

So if I try to make a flow:

(email publicly known @ Public forums ) c@xyz.com -----> b@xyz.com (check mail @ home also has strong password) -----> a@xyz.com (to check mail at public places)

Would like to know feedback and have comments......

I wish that good email providers could provide all this functionality in one account......if there are any good points in it .........

No comments:

Post a Comment